Saturday, March 11, 2006

Surrender

I Stand In Awe

You are beautiful beyond description
Too marvelous for words
Too wonderful of comprehension
Like nothing ever seen or heard
Who can grasp you infinite wisdom
Who can fathom the depth of your love
You are beautiful beyond description
Majesty enthroned above

And I stand, I stand in awe of you
I stand, I stand in awe of you
Holy God to whom all praise is due
I stand in awe of you.


Two things happened during service today:
1. I went to the front during worship
2. I cried to the Lord

I decided to take worship seriously. I didn't just went through the motion like I did countless times before. I also got real with God - face to face.

It's just Him and me. No one else. The people around me didn't matter. I made it a point to not just sing songs because the tune's nice but to sing them because I meant it. Because it came from my heart.

They projected the lyrics on a giant screen. Two purposes. [1] So that you will know how to sing the song and [2] you will know what you're actually singing. That explains the not going through the motion part.

As the songs progressed, I paid close attention to what I was singing - from the individual words to phrases of the song.

Many phrases were things like:
  • to praise You
  • to magnify Your name
  • to give thanks to You
  • to bring You honour
I realised that those phrases had verbs in them. They are actions which we ought to do. I look at my life and I must say, I did badly in many aspects. Here I am singing this to Him, and there I am doing something else.

I got real with God and He got real with me. I felt so vulnerable.

There I was thinking that I'm great, I'm good, I'm sufficient, I'm better than many other people. And then I thought again. Those things didn't honour Him in any way.

I then cried to Him. I suddenly felt so small, so insignificant as I stood before Him.

And that song "I Stand in Awe" struck my heart. Who am I compared to Him? And I don't deserve to stand in awe. I should go on my knees.

Yet, I'm also reassured that he forgives and will always welcome you back into His embrace. How wonderful.

I'm glad God respected my seriousness. If you want to draw near to Him, get right and get serious. You won't regret it.

3 comments:

Mimosa said...

Wow.. lots of reflections. But hearterning to know that you have really worshipped Him today.The thing with true worship is that you just want to be with Him, all the time. Sometimes when you are doing something else in the day, your heart is longing to just worship Him... Pray that you will really have a daily heart of worship.. and enjoy His presence every moment. Just you and Him. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mimosa. When one gets real with the Lord, one'll be aware of His presence all the time. And when we include Him into every aspect of our lives that're outside of the church, we'll still desire and also be helped along by Him to become the person He meant us to be. Like Christ.
Very encouraged by your reflections on your life with respect to God. *grin* WOOT BROTHER!

Dominic. said...

hey peeps, thanks for your encouragement also. its nice to be able to draw close to Him whenever possible. but sometimes, the things of the world hinder us from doing so.

that's one struggle in many of us. nevertheless, through Him we shall overcome.